Thai Firm To Build Southeast Asia’s Largest Wind Farm In Laos
 
Jul 30, 2020
Category:

Bangkok-based BCPG Plc, a renewable energy division of petroleum and energy conglomerate Bangchak Corporation Plc, said its plans to build Southeast Asia’s largest wind farm in Laos at an investment of $840 million.

The park with a capacity of 600 megawatt is planned to be located on 64,000 hectares near the town of Pakse in southern Laos, and its generated power would be sold to Vietnam’s state-run power company Vietnam Electricity (EVN). It is expected to commence operation by 2023.

BCPG’s president and CEO Bundit Sapianchai told Bangkok Post his company plans to sign a power purchase agreement with EVN this October to kickstart the project. The company will invest through one of its subsidiaries, Impact Energy Asia Development Co, and acquire 45 per cent ownership. The other 55 per cent will be held by Impact Electrons Siam, another Thai renewable energy company focusing on providing green electricity to communities.

More investments planned in Laos, Thailand and Japan

Sapianchai said there might be other investment, including into a solar farm, as Laos and Vietnam have an agreement to trade power across the border at a combined capacity of 5,000 megawatt, so there was “plenty of opportunity for investment.”

Earlier this year, BCPG took over the Nam San 3A and 3B hydropower plants in Laos’ northern Xiangkhouang province from a firm in Laos to sell electricity to EVN.

He added that BCPG maintains its plan to set aside a total of $1.43 billion in capital for its business expansion between 2020 and 2024. The company intends to increase total power generation capacity to 842 megawatt, up from currently 452 megawatt.

The spending will go to its projects in Laos, three solar farms in Japan, as well as into a district cooling system for Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok.